Information on Snowshoe Mountain Ski Resort

Snowshoe Mountain resort is located in the Monongahelia National Forest, in Pocohontas County, West Virginia. Originally used for logging in the 1900s, the mountain has now been enjoyed by skiers and boarders for over 35 years. With an elevation of 4,848 feet at the summit, this resort receives an average of 180 inches of snowfall. Trails are created and maintained 100 percent by snowmaking to ensure a top quality ski experience. With its multitude of varied trails and family-friendly atmosphere, Snowshoe Mountain Resort offers something for everyone.
The Trails

Snowshoe offers 60 trails, 72 percent of which are green or blue runs. The remaining 28 percent are black diamond runs for expert skiers. Fourteen lifts get people to the top of the mountain quickly; three are high-speed quads. The resort is separated into four areas and each offers a unique skiing experience.

Northern Tract

Northern Tract was the first area of the resort to be developed. Beginners will appreciate the six trails accessed by the Powderidge lift. Vertical drop on this part of the mountain is gentle--only 800 feet. This is the best area of the resort for newbies.

Silver Creek

Silver Creek is an area offering varied snow activities, much of it of interest to families. Of the 17 trails, 12 are open for night skiing. The Coca-Cola Tubing Park, Kids World Ski School and Mountaineer Terrain Park are all popular options with the kids. The Black Run Sugar Shack offers food and drink.

Snowshoe Basin

Snowshoe Basin has 35 trails and six lifts. There are expert, intermediate and beginner runs on this part of the mountain. After a long day on the runs, guests can stop and grab a bite to eat, or just warm up with some hot cocoa at The Boathouse.

Western Territory

This part of the mountain offers the steepest, toughest terrain in the resort. Here you will find huge moguls and a 1,500 ft. vertical drop. This area of the resort is served by the Western Express High Speed Detachable Quad Lift to get people to the top of the mountain. Hard-core skiers and boarders will meet their match on the Cupp Run and Shay's Revenge which boasts 52 percent steeps.

In the Summer

Snowshoe Mountain in the summer offeres mountain bike tours, Segway tours, Geocaching, hiking and dune buggy tours. Guests can golf at the Raven Golf Club or take the Ballhooter lift up to Shaver Lake where they can kayak, canoe, or ride paddleboats and water bikes. There are so many activities available, it might take you the entire summer to explore them all.

To Visit

According to Snowshoe Mountain Resort website, the resort is located about five hours from Charlotte, Washington, D.C., Raleigh, Richmond and Columbus. The comprehensive "Getting Here" page offers specific instruction coming from all four directions, a map, and road conditions for Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Ohio.

Snowshoe Mountain Resort
10 Snowshoe Dr.
Snowshoe, WV 26209
(877) 441-4FUN

Resources
Cate Rushton has been a freelance writer since 1999, specializing in wildlife and outdoor activities. Her published works also cover relationships, gardening and travel on various websites. Rushton holds a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Utah.