Documents Needed for Travel to Aruba

Aruba, an island of the Lesser Antilles, sits in the southern section of the Caribbean Sea. It is close to the northern section of Venezuela. This Caribbean island is a self-governing region within the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Aruba is different from other islands in the region; it has an arid, dry climate and a cactus-filled landscape. A variety of documents are needed for travel to Aruba and avoid being denied access.
Valid Passport

One of the primary documents needed for travel to Aruba for U.S. citizens is a valid passport. This government-issued photo identification ensures that travelers can easily enter and exit the country. People traveling via cruise ship or airplane need these documents. People find information about applying for new passports or renewing existing documents on the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

Embarkation/Disembarkation Card (ED-card)

Travelers need a completed and signed Embarkation and Disembarkation card. The embarkation section refers to the vessel travelers are boarding. They are required to fill in their name, nationality, flight number and disembarkation port. The disembarkation section provided information about how long travelers will be staying in Aruba, purpose of visit, and departure time. This document is stamped upon entering the country. Applications for International Embarkation/Disembarkation Cards can be downloaded at the Seamless Travel website.

Onward/Return Tickets

Travelers to Aruba should hold onward/return tickets citing passengers' destination and the date they are leaving the country. If travelers do not have this document, access to Aruba could be denied or they could face fines. For more information about onward/return tickets, visit the Royal Netherlands Embassy website. People living near Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Houston, or Miami can visit the Dutch Consulate.

Proof of Sufficient Funds

Other documents needed for travel to Aruba include proof that you have sufficient money. Bank statements for the past three months or employment letters showing salary, time on the job and return date should be presented. Self-employed people should get a copy of their business license from the local Chamber of Commerce and tax returns.

Proof of Accommodations

Travelers to Aruba need to have proof of accommodations. This proof includes reservation confirmation documents, proof of group travel participation, a host family's letter of invitation or a business letter of invitation.

Extended Stays

U.S. citizens can apply for extensions through the immigration office. They may be able to stay in the country as tourists for up to 180 days. However, if travelers stay beyond 180 days, they will need a residence permit and are no longer considered tourists. Contact the Royal Netherlands Embassy or the Dutch Consulate for more information.

Based in Tucson, Ariz., Cicely A. Richard has been writing since 1996. Her articles have been published in the “Arizona Daily Star” newspaper and “ForeWord Magazine.” Richard earned Bachelor of Arts degrees in English and journalism from Louisiana State University. .