Requirements in Getting a Passport for the Philippines

If you are traveling to the Philippines, you'll need a passport. There are various requirements you need to meet in order to get one. It can take several weeks before you actually receive your passport, but in some cases, you can get express service (depending on your circumstances). In the United States, getting a passport for the Philippines is similar to getting a passport for any other country.
The Application

The first thing you'll need to do is apply for the passport. Go to a passport agency or acceptance facility. You need to apply in person. You can find your nearest passport agency by visiting the U.S. Department of State's website.


When you are applying at the passport agency or acceptance facility, you'll also need to supply the required documentation on form DS-11. Form DS-11 can also be obtained from the Department of State's website.

You'll have to provide one of the following documents with your application:

A previously issued U.S. passport that is not damaged
Your birth certificate issued by the city, county or State you were born in
A certificate of citizenship
A Consular Report of Birth Abroad or a Certification of Birth
Additional Documentation at time of application submission
A naturalization certificate

Additional Documents Are Required At The Time of Application Submission

In addition to the documents outlined in above, you'll also have to bring with you one of the following:

A military ID
A naturalization certificate
A valid driver's license
A Government ID

If, for some reason, you cannot locate or do not have any of these documents, then you will have to submit multiple signature-based documents. You must submit them all at once when you turn in your application, however. Some examples of these signature documents are a credit card, your social security card, a library card and employer ID card.

You will also need a witness present that has known you for at least 2 years, has valid ID, and is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. This could be a friend or neighbor. This person has to fill out form DS-71 (affidavit of identifying witness in the presence of a passport agent) in person with you.

Pay the Fee

Pay the fee for the application and for your passport. These are listed on the Department of State's website.


You have to submit two photos of yourself for your passport. These photos must be 2 inch x 2 inch color photos. They also have to have been taken within the last 6 months.

I am a Registered Financial Consultant with 6 years experience in the financial services industry. I am trained in the financial planning process, with an emphasis in life insurance and annuity contracts. I have written for Demand Studios since 2009.