Passport Application Requirements in the Philippines

An archipelago in Southeast Asia, the Philippines is a country known for the diversity of its natural resources. This is not surprising, considering that it is composed of more than 7,000 islands. However, one of its most significant assets comes in the form of human capital, in that many of its citizens work abroad. And, of course, many citizens fly out of the Philippines as tourists to other countries. The government requires its citizens to acquire a Philippine passport in order to travel out of the country.
Application Form

Submit an application form with the Department of Foreign Affairs. Information required includes name, birth date, and contact information. Those under age 18 must indicate the name of their travel companion and obtain the signature of a parent or guardian. All the information supplied in the application form must be accurate; otherwise the applicant risks prosecution for perjury.

Birth Certificate

A birth certificate must be submitted in the application for a Philippine passport. The Department of Foreign Affairs mandates that the birth certificate must have been issued by the National Statistics Office and thus use security paper. A birth certificate from the Local Civil Registrar that was certified as a true copy may also be used as long as it is authenticated by the National Statistics Office.


Three color photographs with a plain blue background must also be submitted. The applicant must be wearing respectable attire such as a collared shirt and must not show any teeth. Passport pictures have to be recent and must not be significantly different from the appearance of the applicant at the time of submission. Passport pictures are required to be 4.5 cm x 3.5 cm.

Supporting Documents

Documents showing details such as name, address and citizenship can be submitted to the Department of Foreign Affairs as secondary paperwork. The documents most commonly used include bank statements and property titles.

Further Requirements

Some applicants may need to submit additional documents. For example, women who want to use the last names of their spouses must provide a copy of their marriage contract. If the applicant is a minor traveling without a parent, he must include a clearance by the Department of Social Works and Development and an affidavit stating the consent of the parents or guardians.

Paul Favors is a full-time SEO Consultant and freelance writer who operates a private web consulting firm. Paul holds a B.A. in Communications Studies from the University of Alabama at Birmingham and has been a professional writer for 3 years - two of those years as regular Demand Studios contributor.